Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sunday on the road...




I wasn’t going to post today as Sunday was a travel day to get to a campground in time to watch The Masters on TV. Didn’t really think there would be much to report. But I’m telling you, mister (I’m typing that in my best John Wayne impersonation) interesting things started appearing with the first tumbleweed tumbling across the road. We were not that far out of Oklahoma City when we passed an exit sign for Erick, OK that said it was the boyhood home of Roger Miller. Immediately I started with “Trailers for sale or rent. Rooms to let – 50 cents. No phone, no pool, no pets. I ain’t got no cigarettes. . . King of the Road.” That song played in my head until we had entered the panhandle of Texas and an exit sign for Lubbock. I told Mike we could go to Lubbock because there would be lots of Buddy Holly stuff. The song then switched to “Peggy Sue, Peggy Sue. Now you know why I feel blue, my Peggy-my Peggy Sue ue ue ue ue ue ue ue.” (I hope you are singing along with me!)

We also passed The Big Texan Restaurant where a 72 oz. steak was free if you could eat it in an hour.

The winds were 30 mph with gusts of up to 45 and we were heading right into them. We pulled off at a picnic area to adjust the side mirrors and literally had to brace ourselves and hold on to the door of the RV and lower compartment we needed o open to get the tool box out for fear they would blow off their hinges.

We drove 6 hours to Tucumcari (pronounced too-come-kerry) New Mexico. The spot was picked solely on the basis of getting there for golf and a campground right next to I-40. We knew we couldn’t make it time-wise all the way to Albuquerque or Santa Fe. The winds were so bad we were nervous about putting up our satellite or antenna, so we watched the local CBS channel through the campground’s cable.

It was warm enough to eat outside, but too windy to dare start the charcoal so when Adam Scott claimed his green jacket, we drove into the little town of Tucumcari to the only place open for dinner – the Lizard Lounge. Tucumcari is right on historic Route 66 so it had a lot of visual reminders of its heyday.

We left for Santa Fe on Monday morning. More on that tomorrow!

Pictures today are of the Welcome to New Mexico sign on I-40 west, the view from our RV, and the neat Route 66 signs in Tucumcari.

No comments:

Post a Comment