Sunday, May 5, 2013

I Left My Heart in San Francisco












Not really. Mine is right here beside me! San Francisco was not originally on our itinerary as we early on decided not to go to places we have already been to. I think I mentioned this before, which is why we didn’t go to the Grand Canyon or Phoenix, or San Diego. In 1995 we came to San Francisco for a business conference for Mike. I saw more of the city than he did because while he was in meetings, I did the city tour. (and I was back in SF several years later with my sisters for a long weekend). But Mike wanted to drive across the Golden Gate Bridge, which we had not ever done.

Our campground (and I use that term loosely as we are RIGHT next to I-80 with no grass in sight) is about 35 miles north of San Francisco. I had always wanted to go to Sausalito, which was exactly on our route to the Golden Gate Bridge. Once there, we didn’t even get out of the car. After driving down the main street of town, we didn’t see anything that piqued our interest enough to stop the car. We don’t walk through galleries, it was too early to get something to eat and boutique-y shops don’t interest Mike. (they interest me, but I was not driving!).

So we proceeded to cross the bridge. Besides the lanes for vehicles, they had lanes on both sides for walkers and bikers. We were excited because we brought our bikes and thought we may not only drive across the Golden Gate Bridge, but we may bike across it! We’ve never even walked the Mackinac Bridge on Labor Day (to our shame).

We drove around some, ended up at Fisherman’s Wharf to get some lunch (clam chowder and fish and chips, of course) and took a 90-minute cruise of San Francisco Bay, something new for us. It was VERY windy so we didn’t sit up top. The boat trip cruises along the shoreline, giving great views of the SF skyline. The narration during the 90 minutes made the boat ride worth it. The Bay was filled with sailboats, both large and small and windsurfers. As we approached the Golden Gate Bridge to go under it, we realized we missed our chance at biking across it. It was so enveloped in fog we could not see it until we were almost under it. That and the wind ended our hopes of being able to bike the bridge. You will be able to see the fog in the pictures. I did take a picture of us going under the bridge. So we may have a little claim to fame as we also have a picture of us going under the Mackinac Bridge (in our boat Point Guard). And come to think of it, we went under the Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges in New York on brother Greg’s boat Blue Fairways. Not everyone can say they have been under so many suspension bridges!

After turning and heading back toward SF, the boat made a trip around Alcatraz (which we toured on our earlier trip) and by Angel Island, which is called the Ellis Island of the west. We ended by going under the Bay Bridge (another suspension bridge) which connects SF to Oakland. You may recall the Bay Bridge was the one damaged in the earthquake of 1989. To get to Oakland you drive on the Bay Bridge, through a tunnel on Treasure Island and the rest of the Bay Bridge, which we did. We drove to the Oakland Coliseum, home to baseball’s Oakland Athletics and football’s Oakland Raiders. I was taking pictures and saw people going in and out of the stadium. There was a high school baseball tournament being played and we were able to walk right in! (you have to be thankful for the little things. . . )

Along with presidential libraries, we also like sports, so seeing the green grass of the field and the retired numbers of famous A’s was a treat.

Right next door was Oracle Arena where the Golden State Warriors of the NBA play.

Our weather changed today from the high 80’s to low 70’s and the wind and fog made it feel even chillier. Our narrator quoted Mark Twain: "I have never spent a colder winter than the summer I spent in San Francisco!" We head to the Monterey Peninsula tomorrow and it is suppose to be low 60’s. I think the weather back home is about the same. I did Face Time this morning with members of my family who were all at a bridal shower for my great-niece and they were all in short-sleeved shirts and some in shorts!

Pictures today are: driving across the Golden Gate Bridge; a typical hilly street in SF. I could never drive a stick-shift in this city!; Mike looking at the seals who sun themselves at the Wharf; a close-up of the seals; me with the Coit Tower and Trans America building in the background; the fog surrounding the GG bridge; going under the GG bridge; Alcatraz; the Bay Bridge and tunnel; me under the Fisherman’s Wharf sign; Mike at an entrance into the Oakland Coliseum; the field of the Coliseum.

Because we had already been to San Francisco, we didn’t repeat what we have already done, so for those of you who have never been here, I am sorry there are no pictures of cable cars, or the crookedest street, or the Presidio, or the Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory, or the inside of Alcatraz, or the many other interesting that make up San Fran.

No comments:

Post a Comment